Head Start series
Head Start is a phonics-based reading scheme, written specifically for pre-school and primary schools K.G. to Class 3, ages 4 to 8, which is easy to implement in the classroom.
Head Start is a carefully graded series designed to allow for continuity and progression from pre-school titles to higher grade levels. The colourful and fun K.G. books contain age appropriate material covering key developmental goals such as ‘initial letter sounds’ and basic vocabulary.
About this Series
- Consists of two parallel readers Head Start Red and Head Start Blue
- Written specifically for schools in Pakistan and based on the UK National Literacy Strategy, in terms of:
- Range (of story type):g. fiction – stories with familiar settings; traditional tales from the region; rhymes with predictable structures and patterned language; non-fiction – instructions
- Phonics: The K. G. stories cover initial letter sounds (e.g. ‘a’ for ‘ant’), and three-letter words such as ‘hat’ and ‘man’.
- Sight words (tricky words to learn by heart): These are virtually the only other words used in the stories, giving a tight structure and a clear progression. There is an NLS lists of sight words (e.g. ‘the’) for K. G.
- Word list for each story at the back of the book for reinforcement exersises
- Colourful illustrations to add to the interest of students
- Skills Book available for each reader
- Teacher Resource Book available for each parallel set of readers