Head Start series
Head Start is a phonics-based reading scheme, written specifically for pre-school and primary schools K.G. to Class 3, ages 4 to 8, which is easy to implement in the classroom.
Head Start is a carefully graded series designed to allow for continuity and progression from pre-school titles to higher grade levels. The Class 1 and 2 readers contain material to build upon the foundations laid in the K.G. titles, including ‘new sound/spelling(s) and tricky to learn ‘sight words’.
About this Series
- Consists of two parallel sets of readers Head Start Red and Head Start Blue, with a total of 8 readers (2 per year)
- Written specifically for schools in Pakistan and based on the UK National Literacy Strategy, in terms of:
- Range (of story type):g. fiction – stories with familiar settings, traditional tales from the region; rhymes with predictable structures and patterned language; non-fiction – instructions
- Phonics: In K.G., Class 1 and Class 2, each story introduces a new sound/spelling(s), and practices those already learned.
- Sight words (tricky words to learn by heart): These are virtually the only other words used in the stories, giving a tight structure and a clear progression. There is an NLS list of sight words (e.g. ’people’) for Classes 1-2.
- Word list for each story at the back of the book for reinforcement exersises
- Colourful illustrations to add to the interest of students
- Skills Book available for each reader
- Teacher Resource Book available for each parallel set of readers